With just about 7 years since I started to work, I have been “successful” in building a excellent career in terms of position and monetary benefits. I am single and my Parents support me a lot when it comes to work .They don’t mind if I work odd or late hours despite belonging to a rather conservative family, society and city. Mom does occasionally crib about my “lack of interest” in cooking and other house hold chores
Within such a short span of time and with as much favorable climate around, there have been so many problems and difficulties that I have faced at work and at home ( caused because I work) the root cause being my gender. There are a lot of questions that I have raised to myself every now and then but ignored as need of the hour then would have been to face another problem and not analyze and/or find answers. Few include
1. Do working women have more freedom and independence than those who are house wives ( women who actually do more work at home than us)
2. Do women face more challenges at work than men?
3. Given a choice, how many of us would resolve to be at home and look after husband and kids than otherwise. Which is easier and suitable?
4. Have we landed out there in the deep blue sea because we didn’t want to face the devil. If yes, how good are we at swimming and how equipped are we to face the tsunamis and the sharks?
5. How many of us would drop the job once the need had been fulfilled though the passion towards work still remained?
6. Do hikes and/or promotions become a nightmare than being a cherished moment, because of comments from colleagues that it was easy because of the gender
7. How many have faced complete insubordination from your team member or complete non co operation from your peer because of “why should I listen to a lady” types of opinion
8. How many of you have been branded as “dominating” though you have been as flexible and nice as possible?
9. How many of you found it easy to get the tasks done because you are a woman
10. How many have been ridiculed for inability in understanding electricity and hardware ? or for not being able to change gears in your vehicle as easily and efficiently as men do?
11. How many of you had to face the frown from elders and relatives because you couldn’t attend a function or a gathering because you had to be at work that time?
12. How many of you got laurels at work and love from family without you having to sacrifice one for other?
13. Why is that after a point all those women prefer to “work from home”?
In short are women working because they want to or is it because the men out there alone couldn’t manage it all by themselves in this fast world. How many are working because your family and society “allows’ you to work or “needs” you to work? Till date I feel that if there were no financial need in the family at the time I started I might not have stepped out to work, either because life is smooth and easier ( in conventional terms) otherwise or because my family may not be that happy with that option.